All of our products are designed to be very robust. Only a tiny percentage of our units ever become defective even after many years of service. Here are answers to the most common issues we receive from our valued customers.
Q.: Why has the unit stopped working when it was working fine the last time I used it?
• A.: Though it only comes up occasionally, this is the most common product issue we receive.
Step 1: First check to make sure the batteries are inserted properly and wiggle them a little bit to make certain they are touching the contact points. Make certain you are using a fresh set of AAA alkaline cells. Even if you think your batteries are new try replacing them with another fresh set. This has solved the issue numerous times for our customers.
Step 2: The number one reason previous versions of MindSpa stop working is because batteries were left in the unused unit for a long period of time. This results in battery leakage, causing corrosion to form at the contact points. In most cases, you can easily resolve this issue. In most cases your MindSpa will be back to its original operating condition!
Check to see if there is a white haze or deeper corrosion on the contact points. If so, place a mild solution of baking powder with a little water to create a paste on the contact points and inside the battery compartment. This will neutralize battery acid and stabilize the battery compartment. Leave on for two minutes and then wipe clean.
Next, take a fine grit sandpaper, 280-400 grit, or fine steel wool and lightly polish the battery contacts then blow clean. If the corrosion was severe, you may need to slightly widen the contact points. This can be accomplished by placing a small object, such as a pen tip, behind the contact point and gently pulling them out so the batteries fit snugly.
Q.: Why does the unit suddenly seems to be malfunctioning?
• A: The most common reason for odd or unexpected performance is because the batteries have reached the end of their useful life. Replace your batteries with fresh AAA alkaline cells.
Note: Sometimes the unit will appear to malfunction without the battery symbol being displayed. Replace the batteries with fresh cells anyway. This should resolve the issue.
Q: Can I upgrade this MindSpa so it is programmable?
Previous versions of MindSpa are not upgradeable. If you are a current MindSpa customer and would like to consider upgrading to one of our newer products, please contact us and we will work with you. However, we do not have a trade-in program.
Q: Can I use the newer programs designed for the 12p with my MindSpa?
Only ActiveSync™ and AudioStrobe® programs are compatible with our earlier models. See additional ActiveSync instructions below.
Q.: I have lost my manual, how can I replace it?
Please go to our support link where you can download your manual in pdf format. You can also purchase originals for a modest charge from our website.
Q.: What is the difference between the previous MindSpa and the new sixth generation MDS-12p?
• A.: We are constantly working to improve our product’s effectiveness. Programmability allows you to choose programs customized to your specific needs. Our Programmable MindSpa has been upgraded from 12 to 18 programs. We have more bonus programs available for you on the website. We also offer additional libraries of programs authored by Dr. Olmstead for stress reduction, sleep enhancement, focus and learning issues.
In addition, we have made MindSpa even easier to use. We have also upgraded to a comfortable, high quality ear bud headset with cable retractors for neatness, added a DC input, upgraded the unit from a three AAA 4.5 volt system to a four battery, 6 volt system for better brightness and longer battery life, and have added a beautiful, upgraded carrying case to protect your system during storage or travel.
Q.: What is the difference between the three-light per eye glasses and your newer six light per eye glasses and are they compatible with earlier MindSpas?
Our proprietary glasses, released in 2007, were designed in conjunction with Dr. Alexander Kaplan head of the Human Brain Research Division, Moscow State University. Our research has determined that the peripheral design of our glasses provides superior benefits and results. We determined that by placing lights per eye along the outside edges in our proprietary oval pattern, we are able to create the very powerful results. Our previous glasses are still very effective.
Q.: What is the difference between the CrystalWhite and CalmBlue led glasses?
• A.: The glasses are fitted either with white or blue leds. White provides full spectrum light which is effective for relaxation, imagery and visualization. They are bright enough to be used under nearly all lighting conditions and great for day or evening use.
Our CalmBlue glasses are tuned to the “action spectrum,” recognized by researchers as blue light in the 460nm – 480nm range. Recent scientific evidence suggests that this specific frequency of blue light is effective for sleep, night shift work, jet lag, and help with circadian rhythm disorders such as SAD (seasonal affective disorder).
In addition, our CalmBlue glasses are excellent for use with hypnosis or relaxation CDs, and for use with those sensitive to bright light.
Q.: What is the difference between the MindSpa MDS-7 and MDS-12?
• A.: We discontinued the MDS-7 in 2003. It contained seven original programs by Dr. Olmstead. We have made substantial improvements since then and should not be directly compared to our current products. Authorized MindSpa distributors do not offer this product any longer. If you see it for sale on auction sites, be aware it is an older product no longer covered under our warranty.
Q.: The lights or the sound are not functioning properly.
• A.: Check to make sure the jacks are fully plugged into the unit. On occasion, a new jack can be a little stiff at first use and require a little extra push. Also, check to make sure you have each accessory plugged into the correct jack. Please note that the end of the light jack is color coded.
If the lights stop operating on one side of the glasses, they probably need to be replaced. We service all in-warranty products at no cost. New glasses are economical to purchase directly from our website and are one-half to one-third the cost of similar glasses from other suppliers.
Q.: Why is there a loud clicking sound in the headphones?
• A.: Check to make certain the headphones are plugged into the correct jack.
Q.: Why am I getting sound from only one side?
• A.: Check to make certain the headphones are fully plugged into the jack. If this does not solve the issue, try another set of headphones. If those are operating properly, then the MindSpa headphones are defective. Contact us for a replacement. They will be sent at no charge. If both sets of headphones provide sound out of only one side, then your unit is defective. Contact us for a warranty replacement or repair.
Active Sync – Expanded Instructions
Our current and previous MindSpa models include the Active Sync function which allows specially encoded recordings to be played through MindSpa and converted into full light and sound programs. The following instructions explain how to convert these pre-encoded files for use with MindSpa.
Converting Sound Files
There are a variety of digital sound file formats that can be used to transfer your AVS session to an audio player or CD. Here are the most common formats and their relation to AVS:
Converting wav to MP3 files
You may also quickly and easily convert your encoded .wav files to MP3. Set parameters as follows:
1. Start your third-party converter program
2. Set bit rate slider to highest quality 320kb
3. Click advanced options. Set Encoding to Variable bitrate / high
4. Set Preset Quality to Very High
5. Click OK and then begin conversion of your .wav file
WAV Files –This format is the standard CD quality, and compatible with every media player or CD burning software on the market. Unfortunately, WAV files also take up a lot of space: an hour long AVS session in WAV form can easily fill up your audio player. With audio CDs, however, this is not an issue, since it is the length of the song, not the format of the sound file that consumes space on an audio CD.
WMA and OGG Files – WMA and OGG files are basically the same as MP3s with one exception: they tend to work better with AudioStrobe. If you are in the market for a portable audio player like an iPod, choose one that supports WMA or OGG files if you can.
To use MindSpa in Active Sync Mode™
Attach the patch cord between your CD play or computer audio output and the Aux input on your MindSpa. Press and hold the backlight button for two seconds to enter Active Sync Mode. You will see AS displayed on your screen. Adjust the volume and brightness to suit your tastes.